How to recover programs from install disks

David Kozinn david at monymsys.uucp
Sat Jun 2 00:14:08 AEST 1990

In article <1990May31.153301.2562 at monymsys.uucp> david at monymsys.UUCP (David Kozinn) writes:
>While playing around with the accounting facilities on my Sys V/386 system, I
>managed to clobber /usr/lib/acct/acctcon2 ...
>Does anyone out there know of any way to
>recover this one file [from the install disks]? Thanks.

Thanks to Eric Schnoebelen (eric at cirr.com) for providing the a pointer in the
right direction. The install disks have two sets of files on them, the
"diskdata" file that I referred to in my original posting and a second set of
files, a cpio archive, which you get to by specifying the disk device that
excludes the boot tracks. To recover the file, I then used:
	cpio -idu < /dev/dsk/f0q15d "*acctcon2*"
which recovered the file in a subtree under the current directory. That was
the easy part. The hard part was going through all the disks to find which one
to insert for the cpio command (it was something like the 5th or 7th disk).
--
David Kozinn                     | UUCP:   pyrnj!bartal!monymsys!david
MONY Financial Services MD 75-14 | Domain: monymsys!david at bartal.crlabs.com
Glenpointe Centre West           | GEnie:  D.KOZINN
Teaneck, NJ 07666-6888           | Phone:  +1-201-907-6990