Coherent and Usenet

Marc Unangst mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us
Sun Dec 16 04:44:28 AEST 1990

emanuele at overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) writes:
> As was discussed much in comp.unix.internals coherent has a SEVERE limitation in
> that you are limited to small (64k data 64k stack) memory model. I DOUBT that
> any news software will work except MAYBE a hack of C-NEWS.

Actually, it's not that hard.  A while ago, I was trying to get C News
running under PC/IX, which is a version of System III put out by IBM
for the PC-XT.  It worked just fine, with almost no local
modifications -- mostly because C News does a lot of things in shell
scripts, and the C programs it uses are all small enough to fit in
PC/IX's split I&D environment.  I did have to use the dbz that came
with C News, though, because the dbm that PC/IX came with was too big
and caused expire to dump core.  The readnews (rna) that C News comes
with didn't compile, but I don't really consider that a problem.

Rn v4.3 (PL unknown, it's been so long) also compiled just fine, but
you had to disable most of the configurable features and reduce some of
the internal buffer sizes.

No, reading news under Coherent won't be fun, and you definitely won't
be able to compile the newer newsreaders such as trn or nn.  But it
*is* possible.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"