Who's in my Directory ?

Bruce Barnett barnett at grymoire.crd.ge.com
Sat Dec 1 03:46:48 AEST 1990

In article <109418 at convex.convex.com> tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
>In article <BARNETT.90Nov28121406 at grymoire.crd.ge.com>,
>barnett at crdgw1.ge.com scrawls:

(p.s. I apologize for the bad handwritting. You should see what it looks
like when I don't use a keyboard! :-)

>>This only works is a processes current working directory is visible
>>with a ps wweuax command.

>Sorry, but very few programs keep your cwd in the $PWD envariable.  So
>this won't work very often.    I would still go with fuser for SysV boxes,
>fstat for BSD ones, or ofiles if you can't find any better.

Yeah - I know. But I wanted to post something that sometimes works and
doesn't require any special program. No one else posted a shell only
"solution".

Unmounting a file system in an emergency is a tough problem if you use
talk(1), wall(1), and the telephone - and the guy doesn't answer.

I used the above script to detect and the force program to change
someone's current directory, if I could.  (Force is a program by
jjg at linus.UUCP (Jeff Glass) that I got from comp.sources.misc. It uses
the TIOCSTI ioctl).

If not - the kill command is sure to get their attention. :-)

I looked at your script, and it doesn't quite work on my Sun4.
the SZ field can be 4 characters wide, and runs into the NI field:
      F UID   PID  PPID CP PRI NI  SZ  RSS WCHAN        STAT TT  TIME COMMAND
   80012067  6958  6957 32  33  02056 2680              R    co 16:39 process

I am willing to work on a perlized version of the above, but Tom is a
zillion times better than I am with perl. (Tom - send me e-mail if you
want to continue this).
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett at crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett