How do I get a list of UNIX C functions?

Chuck Karish karish at mindcraft.com
Thu Dec 27 23:23:44 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec26.065038.16148 at maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> tar at math.ksu.edu
(Tim Ramsey) writes:
>anlhille at rose.ucs.indiana.edu (Joseph Hillenburg) writes:
>
>>I know I can type 'man <function>' but how do I get just the huge list of
>>C functions?
>
>On most UN*X systems, "ar t /lib/libc.a" will give you a list of all the
>functions in the standard C library.

"ar t" gives a list of the objects in libc.a.  Any of these may
contain several functions, and the name of the object is not necessarily
the same as that of any of the functions it contains.  "nm" is a better bet.

I prefer to look at the lint library sources (/usr/lib/llib-l*.c
or /usr/lib/lint/*.c or something similar).  This provides the calling
conventions, too.

	Chuck Karish		karish at mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000