Login vs. typeahead

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Wed Nov 14 10:53:07 AEST 1990

In article <71572 at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, speelmo at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Lance Speelmon -- UCS) writes:
|> The machines that we have here also act the same way.  I don't think
|> that there is any way to change that.  I could be wrong though.

  If you really want to change it, which (as I said in my previous posting) is
probably a bad idea, it is easy to do so as long as you have source code.  You
change the getpass() routine in the C library so that it uses TIOCSETN instead
of TIOCSETP when doing the ioctl to turn off echoing.

  If you don't have source code, it is still possible to change it if you know
what you're doing and you have unstripped binaries.  If you want to change
individual programs, you load them into adb, find the getpass() routine, find
the call to ioctl, and change the TIOCSETP constant to TIOCSETN.  If you want
to change it for everything, you do the same thing on the C library.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace