how are password encryped?

Tobias Brueck teb at uqun38.nixdorf.de
Thu Nov 8 17:34:56 AEST 1990

gwoho at nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) writes:
>i cant figure out how passwords are encrypted. it does not even seem
>very deterministic: i can look in the password file, change my password,
>change it back, and look again, and it changes. how are they encrypted,
>and how can it even work if the same password encryptes differently
>2 differnt times?
>gwoho liu.

It's very simple . The password encryption is a "one-way-encryption" .
The first two letters of the encrypted password (EP) are used for more
difference on the Data-Encryption-Standard (DES) . So you have 4096 (64*64)
differnt kinds of the same EP . If you type in your password the software
will use the first two letters of EP for encryption your password and
compare to the old . If you type in a new and then the old password it will
produced two new first letters by random .
Hope that help , Tobias

******    I still havn't found , what I'm looking for                  ******
|  Tobias Brueck     |  Siemens-Nixdorf-Informationssysteme AG  |  WIF-382  |
|  D-W4790 Paderborn | Heinz-Nixdorf-Ring     |  Phone:  inter-5251-10-5815 |
|  Federal Republic of Germany      |       Republique Federale d'Allemagne |