why is a kermit?

George Grimes grimesg at sj.ate.slb.com
Thu Nov 29 11:24:33 AEST 1990

In article <524 at research.cc.flinders.oz> phata at research.cc.flinders.edu.au (Zax) writes:

>did you ever get a question that was really simple and obvious but bloody
>near impossible to answer.
>i just got one:
>
>		"Why is kermit called kermit?"
>
>beats me.
>anyone out there know?
>sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup but ...
>
>								-Zax
As I recall, in the book on the Kermit protocol Frank da Cruz says that when
they were discussing a name for it, Kermit was suggested by a fan of
Kermit the Frog.  They made up a really silly name (that I can't recall)
that had an acronym of K.E.R.M.I.T. but eventually gave that up and asked
Jim Henson for permission to use the name.

This is from memory since the book is not on my bookshelf right now.
(and I don't remember who I loaned it too-sigh)

George