is it possable to mget any money if i write a version of vi?

Paolo Ventafridda venta at otello.sublink.org
Wed Nov 7 22:42:04 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov6.193301.7727 at nntp-server.caltech.edu>, gwoho at nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) writes:
> i looked around for a free version of vi, and stevie, which is
> a good clone, is the bese i found. if i wrote a real clone
> of ex/vi, would i beable to get any money for it?

why bother to re-invent the wheel?
What the unix world misses is a Word Processor. As far as i know,
there are no public domain WPs around, and those available from
sw vendors are pretty expensive.

A simple word-wrapping/right-justif. without any printer control
(i.e. simple output to file, then your business to print it) would
make a lot of people happy (at least me).
I dont want to spend 1000$ for a WP which -in the DOS world- would be
simply FREE (that is, you just pay that much for it's under Unix).
I am willing to support a shareware WP for 100$, though.

I think that rewriting ex/vi is far much more difficult than
writing a simple but workable WP from scratch.

Of course you'll have your own reasons to clone vi; i am just
putting an idea. Something i am thinking about since i knew
how much Word was costing for my old 3b2.

Greetings from italy

Paolo

Paolo Ventafridda     -*-     INTERNET: venta at otello.sublink.org
TELEMATIX MILANO - Via C.Gomes 10, 20124 Milano -  +39-2-6706012