Brain Teaser

Jonathan Hahn hahn at nas.nasa.gov
Sat Oct 6 11:29:16 AEST 1990

In article <Oct90.150551.3649 at x.co.uk> mike at x.co.uk (Mike Moore) writes:
>Here's one (do NOT actually do this, it appears to be lethal):
>
>  mv /bin/sh /bin/sh.bin
>
>create a shell script called /bin/sh with the following

If your sys admin is on top of things, s/he would simply boot off an
alternate root pack (prepared ahead of time, obviously), then mount and
repair the primary root fs.  The crisis would be no more traumatic than
an ordinary reboot.

If you're not so lucky, there are still alternatives.  If you're on
SYSV, I believe there is (at least there used to be) a suite of
stand-alone utilities which could be used to repair the damage.  On
bsd, you could build and boot a mini-root in your your swap partition
and mount & fix the primary root fs, but it would be a pain.

>--
>---
>Mike Moore
>mike at x.co.uk or mike at ixi-limited.co.uk

-jonathan hahn
--
hahn at gigantor.nas.nasa.gov				wk: (415) 604-4360
..!ames!amelia!hahn					hm: (408) 736-7014