The nature of English (was Re: The nature of wizards)

John G. DeArmond jgd at rsiatl.UUCP
Wed Oct 17 16:42:02 AEST 1990

gdh at calmasd.Prime.COM (Gerald Hall) writes:

>In article <2719D550.51BE at tct.uucp> chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>>According to dave at viper.Lynx.MN.Org (David Messer):
>>>"To avoid confusing the reader by using a gender-specific pronoun where
>>>proper English usage is to use a gender-unspecified pronoun, namely 'he.'"
>>proper English usage may change to the optional
>>use of "she" or "he" according to the whim of the writer.
>>
>Like it or not, the proper gender-unspecified singular pronoun is "they".
>Various 'grammar fascists' have tried to suppress this usage over the
>years by insisting that it is plural, however, the usage by native
>speakers is the proper definition of 'correct' grammar and there are
>pervasive examples in English literature where "they" is used as the
>singular "he or she" equivalent.  Just think of "they" as number-
>unspecified (possibly or specifically singular from context) as well
>as gender-unspecified.

Like it or not, the first poster is correct, feminist chest thumping to
the contrary. (Boy, I bet that hurts :-)  Quoting from "Reference Manual
for Stenographers and Typists" by Gavin & Sabin on page 155,

"Use a singular pronoun when the antecedent consists of two
SINGULAR nouns joined by OR or NOT.  Use a PLURAL pronoun when the
antecedent consists of two PLURAL nouns joined by OR or NOR (empahsis
theirs).  Examples:

	Either Will or ed will have to give up HIS office (NOT: their)
	Neither Joan Nor helen wants to do her share (NOT: their)
	Either the Wilsons or the Hensleys will bring their phonograph.

(following page)

"When the antecedent applies to either sex or to both, a masculine
pronoun is used.  Examples:

	A parent is responsible for the conduct of HIS children.
	Each person should hold HIS own ticket.
	Each boy and girl should hold HIS own ticket.
	OR:
	Each boy and girl may hold his or her own ticket. (for exactness,
	HIS OR HER may be substituted for HIS.)

"Use a singular pronoun when the antecedent is a singular indefinite
pronoun.  The following indefinite pronouns  are always singular:

	anyone		everyone	someone		no one
	anybody		everybody	somebody	nobody
	anything	everything	something	nothing
	each		every		either 		one
	each one	many a		neither		another

"Examples:

	Everyone has submitted HIS expense account today. (NOT: their)
	Nobody could have  helped HIMSELF in a situation like that.
												 (NOT: themselves)
	If anyone should ask for me, tell HIM that I won't return
		until Monday. (NOT: them)
	Every company has ITS own vacation policy. (NOT: their)
	Neither of the clerks has HIS records up to date.   (HIS agrees in
		number with NEITHER, not with CLERKS.)

(Emphasis theirs in all cases.)

So there  you have it.  According to my mom who is a retired executive
secretary, this book has been the authority on proper grammar since day
one and does not respond to the political correct-think of the day.

(I typed this in under Unix which makes it relevant to this group :-)

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | "The truly ignorant in our society are those people
Radiation Systems, Inc. | who would throw away the parts of the Constitution