DOS Emulation for UNIX

Jerry Heyman zebr360 at ut-emx.uucp
Wed Oct 17 13:11:35 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct16.224457.12914 at sctc.com> briel at sctc.com (Marc Briel ) writes:
>Does anyone know of a DOS (ala IBM PC) emulator that permits DOS applications
>to be run on UNIX systems (either BSD or Sys V)? I am specifically interested
>inapproaches for running Microsoft Word and Excel on UNIX. I am assuming that
>the users have no mouse interface available so the DOS versions or Word and
>Excel are probably more practical for this purpose than the Mac versions
>would be.

There are a variety of software emulators available for the PC-DOS function
that you're asking for.  For Intel 386 machines, there are several - but you
will have to get the emulator that is supported by your particular brand of
U*ix.

- Interactive (ISC) provides an emulator that runs under their VP/ix.
- Locus Computing sells one, and it is remarketed by IBM as DOS Merge for AIX
    on the PS/2.
- SoftPC is a product (forget which company) that provides true software
    emulation on hardware that is not Intel based (currently DEC, Mac, and
    others but you'd need to contact them for which machines)
- IBM sells a PC Simulator that runs on both its RT and RISC System/6000.

A recent issue of the Uniforum magazine does a study on four different emulators

As for mouse support, I know that the IBM PC Simulator does support a mouse
(having used both versions), but I cannot make a statement one way or another
on any of the other emulators.

>Any info and ideas are appreciated.

Your welcome. :-)

>				Marc Briel
>				briel at sctc.com

jerry
--
Jerry Heyman                  by day: IBM AWD, AIX Development
zebr360 at emx.utexas.edu        by nite: Adjunct Lecturer at St. Edward's Univ.

*All comments are my own and should not be construed to represent any one else