Zmodem with 7 bit transmission

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX caf at omen.UUCP
Thu Oct 18 23:13:54 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct16.064742.20502 at cs.cmu.edu> climan+ at cs.cmu.edu (Dani Climan) writes:
:Does anyone have a Unix version of zmodem that supports 7 bit transmission?
:The local network which I use to access the university's computers uses
:a 7 bit even parity protocol.  The only file transfer protocol that I
:have found that works is kermit.  My PC documentation for zmodem (DSZ.EXE)
:specifically refers to two flags (-E, -P) that use 7 bit transmission.
:However, the unix docs do not discuss this feature and all attempts to
:get it to work have failed.  I have checked rzsz0525.zoo and rzszv307.zoo.
:Is there a more recent version or a different one that supports the PC
:7 bit feature?  Does anyone have any experience getting this to work?

I have no plans to upgrade the shareware rzsz files to include ZMODEM-90
(MobyTurbo, 7-bit, etc.).  I learned my lesson with rzsz version 3.x.

Unix Professional-YAM replaces rz and sz with hard links to /usr/bin/yam.
This provides the full ZMODEM-90 feature set.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF