Looking for a Book about awk & sed

Bill Szmyd szmyd at hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM
Mon Oct 15 12:53:43 AEST 1990

>   I'm looking for a good book as introduction into awk, sed and similar
>   unix tools. The bookstores around have hundreds of books around unix
>   but I found nothing which concentrates on these powerful utilities.
>
>   I'll post a summary if there is interest.
>
>   Thanks  Markus
>
> --
>   Markus Baertschi				| markus at cernvm.cern.ch
>   CERN (European Particle Research Center)
>   Geneva, Switzerland

Try the recent update on AWK from Aho, Kernighan and Weinberger, "The AWK
Programming Language".  Published by Addison-Wesley Publishing Company.  I
paid about $22 (US) for it.  Doesn't cover SED but is great for AWK.

Note that to run some of the constructions they use you need the new
version of AWK.  On some machines this is found as NAWK.

--
	Bill Szmyd
	Software Engineering Systems Division