Fgrep need not be slow (was Re: Fast file scan)

Paul Chamberlain tif at doorstop.austin.ibm.com
Tue Oct 9 23:44:47 AEST 1990

In article <2440 at van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> jtc at van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (J.T. Conklin) writes:
>In article <3790 at awdprime.UUCP> tif at doorstop.austin.ibm.com (Paul Chamberlain) writes:
>>Fgrep means Fixed, egrep means Exponential (like in Exponentially faster)!
>As has been mentioned before, it depends on your implementation: not
>all fgreps are slow.

I confess, my statement was based just on SCO XENIX although I have been
led to believe than SysV also acted this way.  I just tried two AIX's.
AIX V2.2.1 fgrep is only slightly slower than egrep, and AIX V3.1 fgrep
is slightly faster than egrep!

Paul Chamberlain | I do NOT represent IBM.     tif at doorstop, sc30661 at ausvm6
512/838-7008     | ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!doorstop.austin.ibm.com!tif