Brain Teaser

Vignes Gerard M ewsres15 at pc.usl.edu
Fri Oct 5 17:56:28 AEST 1990

In article <Oct90.150551.3649 at x.co.uk> mike at x.co.uk (Mike Moore) writes:
>Here's one (do NOT actually do this, it appears to be lethal):
>now assume that *everyone* is set to use /bin/sh (including root), how
>do you get out of this without rebuilding the operating system?  I don't
>think there actually is one..... but....

	I once loaded an operating system and foolishly set the default
	shell to KSH before bothering to load the KSH binary.  Even more
	foolishly, I then logged out, and was greeted by a cannot execute
	type message when I tried to log back in.  I gave up after about
	an hour and reloaded the system.  Thinking back, I had the
	networking software going and probably could have FTP'd the KSH
	binary (or a new copy of /etc/passwd) over as root.  I'm not
	certain if this would have worked, but I know that it was a real
	PITA to reload the system, and I felt pretty silly about it
	afterwards.