Question for net.views column in UNIX Today!

Jim Cathey isc-br.isc-br.com!jimc at uunet.UU.NET
Tue Apr 2 08:30:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar29.195953.2421 at utoday.com> you write:
>	Is a single GUI standard really necessary?

Necessary?  Don't know.  Desireable? (ie many people want it)  Yes.  A good
idea?  No way in hell!

These things are far too immature to even consider nailing down the world on
them.  The best one I've seen so far has been Apple's, and it's sure not
perfect.  A recent experience with Openlook made me want to throw up.  Motif
is one of the ugliest ones I've seen, the Amiga's looks like a toy, Windows'
is kind of sad...  Must I go on?

It seems that most people designing these things have no artistic sense,
and the more 'standard' they are the uglier.  Unfortunately, if the world
were to standardize now they'd be stuck with OpenLook or Motif, both of which
remind me of Cobol in some bizarre fashion.

Long live brutal competition!

--
! II      CCCCCC !  Jim Cathey