Unix problem

Jerry Heyman zebr360 at ut-emx.uucp
Mon Apr 22 14:11:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr21.124135.7732 at tjhsst.vak12ed.edu> kdeyoe at tjhsst.vak12ed.edu (Kelly DeYoe) writes:
|>In article <14425 at medusa.cs.purdue.edu> wangjw at ifestos.cs.purdue.edu () writes:
|>>Hi,
|>>
|>>  I was using the X-window and somehow generated some garbage files. I
|>>cannot remove some files because these files are named "-C", "-f" etc.
|>>Can someone tell me how to remove these garbages?
|>>
|>>  Thanks.
|>>
|>>Jingwen Wang
|>>
|>>wangjw at cs.purdue.edu
|>

|>To get rid of these files, or simply be able to rename them to
|>something more managable, you can go to the parent directory and
|>manipulate them that way.  i.e.:
|>
|>cd ..
|>rm dir/-C (assuming you started in directory dir)
|>
|>and *poof*, it's gone. . .

another way is to preface the files with ./ (for current directory) followed
by their name.  that way:

rm ./-C

works fine.  Unix expects any thing following a '-' sign to be an option
to the command invoked.  It doesn't differentiate between them and file names
that happen to be the same.

|>KD

jerry
--
Jerry Heyman                  by day: IBM PSP, AIX Development
zebr360 at emx.utexas.edu        by nite: Adjunct Lecturer at St. Edward's Univ.

*All comments are my own and should not be construed to represent any one else