real-time UNIX?

Larry Williamson larry at mitra.mitra.com
Mon Apr 29 20:29:55 AEST 1991

> > > Is there such a thing as real-time UNIX for a PC?
> > A company called Lynx sells a real-time UNIX for PCs. ...
> Venix/286 and Venix/386 offer "System V kernel and then adds ...
>
> VenturCom, Inc.
> (617)661-1230

I've used the VenturCom product quite a bit at my previous job (with
Focus Automation Systems). The 386 product is essentially Interactive
386 Unix with some pretty snazzy drivers to provide the real time
enhancements. It is really quite a nice product.

We looked at the Lynx product before we settled on VenturCom, but we
did not like the fact that (at that time), you had to buy one of their
hardware boards to be able to use the system. As I recall, this board
provided some hardware support for the kernel, mostly for features
that I could not see us needing.

-Larry