Question for net.views column in UNIX Today!

Anthony A. Datri lovecraft.convex.com!datri at uunet.UU.NET
Mon Apr 1 10:04:36 AEST 1991

>	Is a single GUI standard really necessary?

It seems to me that the world ran just fine before vendors came up with this
"GUI" business.  What do I care if the scrollbars in every program on my
machine look exactly the same?  If we *do* have to have a single one, what's
wrong with Xaw?  It's free, and you know that everyone is going to have it.

All the OSF/Motif toolkit (for example) does is cost you $ for a license,
clutter your valuable screen area with pseudo-art-deco adornments, waste memory
like it's going out of style, and encourage vendors to deliver statically-
linked binaries.

214-497-4135

datri at convex.com