smart copy/update routine

Joseph Boykin boykin at encore.com
Wed Jan 30 01:24:32 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan28.155450.24449 at cec1.wustl.edu>, jcb at wucs1.wustl.edu (James Christopher Beard) writes:
|> Is there such a thing available as unix source?  What I need is a
|> program that can be told to copy files from source to target iff the
|> file to be copied does not exist on the target or the source version
|> is newer than the version in the target directory.

If you're using BSD there is a program called 'rdist' which will do
exactly this.  It is intended to be used over the network to
keep several systems in sync with each other.  There's nothing to
prevent you from using it on the local machine.

----

Joseph Boykin
Manager, Mach OS Development
Encore Computer Corp