Will telnet do VT100 translation for other term types?

BRIAN MCBEE brianop at opac.uucp
Thu Jan 31 03:11:36 AEST 1991

I am a relative UNIX novice with a question about telnet:

Do the standard telnets that come sith Sys V or BSD do VT100 emulation, or do
they just pass data transparently back to the terminal?  We don't have our
Unix system yet (not sure what we are going to buy), but we have people that
will be logging in from all kinds of different terminals.  We would then like
to be able to telnet from the unix system to a VAX running VMS, and run an
application that REQUIRES vt100 terminal emulation.  Will telnet do the
translation for them, or do we need some other software?

Any and all replies appreciated.