(?) on a pc <-> sparc unix environment

Robert Adams adams at trim.intel.com
Sat Jan 26 06:36:29 AEST 1991

In article <2619 at engadm2.csd.mot.com>, cliff at motcsd.csd.mot.com (Cliff
Rodriguez) writes:
|> Here is what I would like to put together in a
|> unix computing environment:

... configuration stuff about a Sparc and a pc386 running V.4 deleted

|> 	The pc is my office machine for interfacing with outside
|> world. I would like to be able to operate all the peripherals
|> via the sys V.4 unix.  I am not sure if drivers exist for
|> thoses goodies.  What is the state of the art here?  Can a person
|> buy a fax/modem card for the pc and use it on the unix side?

We've had some luck doing this by using one of the DOS under UNIX
and running the DOS programs to run the board.  For instance, we've
successfully run the Intel PCconnection FAX/compression/etc board
this way.  We've also run scanners connected to the parallel port
and printers from DOS applications.
Off hand I don't know of vendors that have FAX stuff
native on V.4 UNIX for PCs -- I wouldn't be surprised if more
then one exists, though.

|> 	The sun is the main development machine.  I can open a window
|> to the pc and use it environment.  The sun may be an ipc so it will
|> not have slots.

We have been able to run X clients on an IPC and have the X server
be a 386 V.4.0 box.

NFS and all of that works well also and we have been able to use
386 V.4.0 as both a file client and server for a Sun.

|> 	The basic idea is to load my pc with the hardware I would
|> not be able to afford for the sun (or even hook up, no slots).
|> Using a ethernet connection I will have tcp, nfs and all the other
|> advantages between the computers.  This is my idea of an ideal
|> contractors environment.  I would have the lates OS's and have to
|> hardware platforms as well.

With the current versions of V.4.0 on 386/486's I think you can easily
do what you are trying to do.

        -- Robert Adams         adams at littlei.intel.com
                                ...!uunet!littlei!adams
Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed here are my own and are not
	representative of Intel Corporation