shell architecture (to glob or not to glob)

Jay Maynard jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu
Mon Jan 28 05:31:34 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan23.042700.4453 at NCoast.ORG> allbery at ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
>As quoted from <4f5c65f2.20b6d at apollo.HP.COM> by vinoski at apollo.HP.COM (Stephen Vinoski):
>+---------------
>| Thank you for reinforcing my opinion of those who call themselves "systems
>| programmers."  Two years?  Sheesh!
>+---------------

Thanks, Stephen. I like you too.

>BTW, I don't know if *any* of this applies to Jay; the real world contains an
>awful lot of complications.

It does indeed...my first Unix system was Microbug...er...Microport's
System V/AT, versions from 1.3 to 2.4. Working around Microport's bugs
was *very* educational. :-(

My experience on small computers, up until the time I started with Unix, was
with CP/M and MS-DOS. I was used to small, clean, fast implementations
that didn't demand much administration and were easy for programmers to
deal with, and that weren't chock full of cryptic commands whose names were
chosen for typing ease rather than ease of figuring out for the uninitiated.
My work experience with MVS-based IBM mainframes didn't help, either. Unix is
like *none* of the systems I had dealt with before, and the mindset was alien
to me.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.