prompt question

Kartik Subbarao subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Thu Jan 24 01:31:09 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan23.083259.16296 at daimi.aau.dk> pilgrim at daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) writes:
>I have a problem with the prompt.
>
>I want a little script to be executed, every time
>I press return (I want the prompt to change).
>
>Is this possible with a shell-script, or do
>I have to write a C-program, which I know
>very little about.

The tcsh and zsh shells have exactly what you want to do built in. If you

> alias precmd shellscript, # In tcsh, or

Z> function precmd {shellscript} # in zsh

it will execute 'shellscript' right before it prints every prompt.

You can get tcsh from many sites, (I think the 'official' one these days is
tesla.ee.cornell.edu).

You can get zsh from Princeton.EDU.

				-Kartik

--
internet# find . -name core -exec cat {} \; |& tee /dev/tty*
subbarao@{phoenix or gauguin}.Princeton.EDU -|Internet