Where does mail info come from in finger ?

Ed Wright edw at sequent.UUCP
Mon Jun 17 15:25:52 AEST 1991

In article <1669 at fs1.ee.ubc.ca> tibors at ee.ubc.ca (tibor szikszai) writes:
%
%I looked at the source for finger, but I couldn't find anything that
%seems to be checking any files for whether the person being fingered
%has mail or not.  So I am curious about how things like "No unread
%mail." or "New mail received ...  Unread since ..." or "Mail last read ..."
%get printed.  Does anybody know?  Is another daemon doing this job?

The mail info is just a check of mtime and atime on the user's mail box.
I don't recall ever getting that information back from finger however.

--
 I think I've got the hang of it now .... :w  :q  :wq  :wq! ^d  X exit ^X^C
 ^[x  X Q  :quitbye  CtrlAltDel   ~~q  :~q  logout  save/quit :!QUIT ^[zz ^[ZZ