Porting GCC to a Callan Unistar 300... possible?

J.T. Conklin jtc at motcad.portal.com
Mon Mar 4 09:17:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar1.072541.6959 at agate.berkeley.edu> dburr at .berkeley.edu (Donald Burr) writes:
>I would like to get GCC running on my Callan Unistar 300 box.  This is a
>SysV R2 (I think) box that uses a MC68010 as the processor.  Is this
>possible, and if so, what/how much hacking would I need to do in the GCC
>code, and where?

I was able to port GCC to a old motorola 68k box with a wierd assembler
syntax in about a week.  The main problem seems to be having a compiler
that is "smart enough" to compile the first pass of GCC.

AT&T UNIX PC owners had a rough time getting gcc to compile, as the stock
compiler couldn't do it --- eventually someone got it to work and binary
copies were distributed.

If work at it, you should be able to port gcc to your callan.  If you
do get it to work, send your fixes into the FSF.  Not only does it make
it easier for you to port gcc when the next version comes out, but also
you get something widely distributed with your name on it. :-)

	--jtc

--
J.T. Conklin    jtc at motcad.portal.com, ...!portal!motcad!jtc