Mark Williams Unix Anyone?

Rick Kelly rmk at rmkhome.UUCP
Mon Mar 18 19:27:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar15.143012.22653 at midway.uchicago.edu> gast at quads.uchicago.edu (christopher gareth gaston) writes:

>Does anyone out there have any experience with the Mark Williams Company's
>$99 version of Unix?  Is it really Unix?  How compatible is it?
>Specifically, is it possible to compile and run the GNU stuff under
>it (emacs, gcc, etc.)? Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Mark Williams UNIX, which is called Coherent, is V7 compatible with V5
extensions.  These include shared memory, message passing, and semaphores.
It's chief disadvantage is a small mode compiler which only allows 64k code
and 64k of data.  This will be fixed in a future revision.  The GNU stuff is
probably too large to be built on Coherent at this time.

Consider this: I use Coherent on this USENET node, which is running Cnews and
rn.  It is as functional as the UNIX USENET node which I also administrate.

Rick Kelly	rmk at rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk at frog.UUCP