Permission Question

John Navarra navarra at casbah.acns.nwu.edu
Sun Mar 10 07:29:43 AEST 1991

   I am running SunOS and I was wondering about the following:

ls -lasd  /somedir on my machine:
  20 drwxrwsrwt   2 daemon   staff       9728 Mar  9 12:37 /some dir

 Now you see that this dir has its sgid bit on which means (if I remember
 correctly) that when you make a file in this dir, it is given the same
 guid. Let's see:

 vi somefile
 ls -las | grep somefile:

   2 -rw-------   1 navarra  staff          2 Mar  9 12:41 somefile

 id:
 groups=20(users)

 I am not a member of staff but I wanted to see if I could do the following:

 cp /bin/sh /somedir/sh
 chmod g+s /sh
 ls -las | grep sh

 224 -rwx--x--x   1 navarra  staff     106496 Mar  9 13:18 sh

 AS you see I was not able to set this bit. I was wondering if you actually
 have to be a member of the group to set its bit? Is this true on all Unix
 systems?

 From the Lab of the MaD SCiEntIsT:
 navarra at casbaha.acns.nwu.edu