Porting C under UNIX to OS/2

Alex Martelli alex at am.sublink.org
Sat Mar 23 22:00:05 AEST 1991

rommel at Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:
:1. Many Unix programs rely on Unix-specific library routines that are
:   not supported even by the very Unix-compatible Microsoft C compiler,
:   most notably the POSIX directory access routines (opendir/readir/
:   closedir) and regular expression routines and getopt. I had to
:   collect or write/modify such routines. Once I had them, porting was

I disagree with the characterization of Microsoft C as "very Unix
compatible"; I find it quite lacking, particularly in the library.
Watcom C 8.0 is better, for example it DOES have opendir/readdir.
But more in general, you are right.  Fortunately, "Unix-specific"
library routines ARE becoming easier and easier to find, both built
in to compilers' libraries and in such places as the freed BSD sources
and various freely redistributable programs around the net...
--
Alex Martelli - (home snailmail:) v. Barontini 27, 40138 Bologna, ITALIA
Email: (work:) martelli at cadlab.sublink.org, (home:) alex at am.sublink.org
Phone: (work:) ++39 (51) 371099, (home:) ++39 (51) 250434;
Fax: ++39 (51) 366964 (work only), Fidonet: 332/401.3 (home only).