Voice Mail

Leif Andrew Rump andrew at resam.dk
Thu May 30 17:32:20 AEST 1991

In <60710 at sequent.UUCP> edw at sequent.UUCP (Ed Wright) writes:
>----- News saved at 23 May 91 16:31:28 GMT
>In article <1781 at babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu> abmg at cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Aliasghar Babadi) writes:
>%Hi,
>%
>%	I like to be able to leave  voice messages on a computer
>%using telephone. for example:
>%
>%	I call my friend at work she is not there I want to leave a voice
>%message for her on her computer so later on when she logs into her
>%account she see the voice mail and she can listen to it.
>%
>%	1- I want to know if there is such a system available.
>%	2- Do you have any idea of how to do this?
>%	3- Where can I get some help and more info on this subject?
>%
>%Thank you fro your help.

>Although we have voice mail here at sequent, I have a hard time seeing the
>big difference between it, and a $29.95 kmart answering machine, other
>than perhaps the cost.

With a company with more than one or two employees then the answering machine
won't work! To answer the original question: Yes it exist and it works quite
well. I tried it once when I called Island Graphics (a larger software house)
in the States. My contack person was not in so the receptionist asked me if I
wanted to leave a voice mail - Huh?!? Well, eeh, ok! Hello <beep> please ...
He called!  :-)  He told me later that voice mail worked much better than
notes and E-mail because it didn't get scribled on the way it came directly
from the senders mouth.

How it is done? Well you need to hook up a computer with an analog interface
to the telephone system or if it's internal mail to a microphone. You also need
a loudspeaker (a SunSparc has it all). Then you need some software to record
the sound, a _*HUGE*_ disk and some software that makes sure the right person
gets the right files for playback. It's quite simple actually!

Andrew

Leif Andrew Rump, AmbraSoft A/S, Stroedamvej 50, DK-2100 Copenhagen OE, Denmark
UUCP: andrew at ambra.dk, phone: +45 39 27 11 77                /
Currently at Scandinavian Airline Systems                =======/
UUCP: andrew at resam.dk, phone: +45 32 32 51 54                \
SAS, RESAM Project Office, CPHML-V, P.O.BOX 150, DK-2770 Kastrup, Denmark

                If it's broke, fix it (The MS-DOS way)
            If it aint broke, don't touch it (The Unix way)
	If we can't fix it, it ain't broke (Maintainer's Motto)
             If you can't fix it, fuck it (The U-boat way)