Problems with rzsz9002.tar-z (Zmodem package)

Robert S larson rlarson2 at uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 19 03:07:04 AEST 1990

henkf at dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Henk Fictorie) writes:

>I'm having problems with the sz, rz (zmodem send/receive) programs
>from the rzsz9002 package.  I'm trying to transfer files from our Sun
>to my pc at home.
>When I try to send a file from the Sun to the pc, only the first 1024
>bytes arrive. After that, the PC reports Timeouts and I have to Abort
>the transfer. When I try to receive a file on the Sun from the pc, the
>pc program cannot even initiate the transfer.
>I can use Xmodem and Ymodem from the same package without any problems.

I used to experience similar problems with an identical configuration.
What I finally got to work was to use the command:

       sz -w 1024 filename
This seems to result in 512 byte packets being rather than 1024 byte
packets. Performance only decreased slightly; I now get about 220 cps
at 2400 baud, whereas zmodem should get 230 (with a clean phone line).
Still beats the hell out of kermit.