Windows 3.0 & non-FDISK partitions trouble ?

Norbert Bladt nbladt at aut.autelca.ascom.ch
Fri Nov 9 21:02:09 AEST 1990

pena at fuug.fi (Olli-Matti Penttinen) writes:

>  I just read in a local weekly computer paper (Tietoviikko 1.11.1990)
>that Windows 3.0 shouldn't be used with anything else than regular
>(i.e. <= 32 MB ?) FDISK partitions.  The article mentioned that SCO
[ text deleted ]

>  Questions:
Some answers follow :-)

>  1) Does anyone have juicy horror stories regarding these hw/sw combinations?
I think it's just for non-FDISK partitions larger than 32 MByte and using
MS-Smartdrv disk cache program.

>  2) What will happen if I
>     a) use ISC unix and run Win3 in real mode under vp/ix using
>        either a regular DOS partition (< 32 MB) or the unix file
>        system (>> 32 MB).
Nothing. It won't run at all. So, no reason to worry about it. :-)
However, my question: does it run under SCO (ans whatever you use
as a DOS emulator) ?

>     b) use Win3 in a DOS workstation w/ PC-Interface DOS Bridge to
>        connect to the unix server.  The workstation will see the
>        entire unix file system (>> 32 MB) as one drive.
I don't know. I would be careful with that, though.

>  3) Are there any special measures one could take in programming
>     Windows 3.0 applications to avoid getting into trouble?
I don't know either.

>  Yes, I am setting up a network with a server running INTERACTIVE
>Unix 2.2 and acting as a PC-Interface server for a bunch of DOS
>workstations with smallish ( ~ 80 MB) FDISK partitioned hard disks,
>Windows 3 and PC-Interface DOS bridges.
Good luck.

>  Comments, experiences, suggestions, anyone?  Please email, I'll
>summarize, if need be.
There was a questions about this a few weeks ago. "How can I run
Win 3.0 under VP/ix with ISC ?".
We can't do it.

>Thanks,

>  ==pena

Norbert.
--
Norbert Bladt, Ascom Autelca AG, Worbstr. 201, CH-3073 Guemligen, Switzerland
Phone: +41 31 52 92 14