Unix Vs. DOS

Neil Rickert rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu
Wed Nov 21 01:33:19 AEST 1990

In article <551 at caslon.cs.arizona.edu> musa at cs.arizona.edu (Musa J. Jafar) writes:
>Hello there. I am reading about the
>unix file system and the dos file system(sort of speak)
>Unix is a real Hierarchy while DOS is not
>This is what I understood from my readings.
>But DOS looks like a hierarchy.

  Actually, I think you have it backwards.  The DOS file system is a real
hierarchy, while the Unix file system is not.  The unix file system is a
flat file system, with its single inode list the true directory.  The
heirarchical file system is a virtual hierarchy built on top of this.

  A flat file system in inherently more robust.  Lose on one in a true
heirarchy such as DOS, and you lose all file beneath it.  In Unix the worst
that happens is that some files are moved to 'lost+found'.  The virtual
heirarchy on top of a flat file system also permits multiple links to a file,
which has turned out to be quite useful.

>What is the advantage of UNIX over DOS in a single user Env.
>     other than you have more options under Unix (but you pay for them)

 Forget the religious wars about operating systems, and choose the one which,
in terms of available software and hardware products and support services, best
suits your needs.