SUMMARY: How to configure vt100/wyse50 in VP/ix for line graphics

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Thu Nov 22 02:02:58 AEST 1990

In article <330 at twg.bc.ca> bill at twg.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) writes:
>I originally posted:

>>When  I  invoke  the VP/ix menu (ESC SO or ESC s) I  get  bad  characters
>>drawing the box that surrounds the menu.  The vt100 prints "q"s and "x"s,
>>while  the wyse50nam prints all "."s.  I have not been able to locate  in
>>TFM  where the appropriate graphic characters are specified.  In the file
>>"/usr/vpix/term/wyse50n",  the  output  characters mappings  section  has
>>every line being mapped to a ".".

>My  question  remains:  why would SCO put out a mature product like VP/ix  and
>have  a  "supported  terminal"  (Wyse  50)   using  periods  for  box  drawing
>characters?  That doesn't fit my definition of supported.  8^(

I have had similar problems with terminal that are "vt" compatible but are
not 100%.  Mapping the '.'s seems to me the best solution when you don't
know what the "vt compatible" terminal's capabilites are.

The q's and x's are something that the users have had to learn to live with
because some emulations don't handle the alternate character set.

I have had that problem using dual protocols (poll-select & ascii in same
terminal) terminals.  Some brands work fine, other don't.  The ones that
work get boxes, the ones that don't get q's and x's.

It seems to some, compatible means it will run most things. ;=}
Don't blame SCO for something that is/may be the fault of the hardware
manufacturer.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP