vpix under x11r4 under 386/ix 2.02

Tim Wright tim at delluk.uucp
Wed Sep 26 18:58:03 AEST 1990

In <90 at usun01.UUCP> hoepfner at usun01.UUCP (Andreas Hoepfner) writes:

>In <1990Sep19.070953.815 at coyote.uucp> ejm at coyote.uucp (E.J. McKernan) writes:

>>I am running a 386 clone with 8M RAM and ISC 2.0.2. We also have
>>Tom Roell's X11R4 IBM vga server online. My question is: How
>>does one or has anyone got vpix to work in an xterm window?
>>Does ISC X11 support vpix in an xterm window?

> You have to run XPCTERM (/usr/bin/X11) to emulate a *DOS* window
> under X11 and start vpix in this window. *MOST* things run fine,
> and you can use the DOS funktion keys......

> Hope this helps,

>		 Andreas (:-)

Not strictly true. VP/ix runs on a number of ASCII terminals which feature
neither scancode ability, nor full PC graphics (e.g. DEC vt100). Since xterm
is only a vt100 in disguise, you should be able to run VP/ix in an xterm
window by saying it is a vt100 (or if you prefer, create the necessary VP/ix
config files to drive the xterm). The advantages of xpcterm are a true PC
font (both in terms of graphics characters and font styling). I don't know
about scancode emulation - it's certainly reasonable to do, but I never looked.
The function keys are emulated by ESC-1 ... on ASCII terminals.

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Dell Computer Corp. (UK), Bracknell  | Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Tel: +44-344-860456                  | Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
"What's the problem? You've got an IQ of six thousand, haven't you?"