Info wanted about Unix based PC's

Andy DeFaria defaria at hpclapd.HP.COM
Sat Sep 8 02:53:55 AEST 1990

I have been receiving email  about this pretty  regularly.  Thanks, and I'm
collecting and saving  all useful  info.  My  objective was  to put out  my
feelers about this.  I'm not rushing out and getting a PC tommorrow.  Also,
I'm not planning on summarizing on the net here  although I might  (so post
here instead of emailing me).

What I have basically learned so far  is that  there are several flavors of
Unix for PC's  ranging  from inexpensive  (Coherant) ones that  do next  to
nothing (no networking, etc)  to the more full blown  Unixs like  SCO Xenix
and Interactive.   The more expensive the  OS  the more capability  and the
more hardware  you need (who  said  that  hardware doesn't  matter?).  Also
there are a number of DOS emulators for the Unix environment (and Unix-like
shells and emulators for the DOS environment).

I don't know  exactly what I  should do now  'cept that I'll follow up with
some of these companies and see just how much of my right arm I need to cut
off (if it's too much I'll need a mouse! :-) and then  make a determination
as to whether I would like to  enter the Unix PC  market now or wait for it
to mature alittle  and  for prices to  come down (or  my paycheck to go up!
:-).