Looking to go Un*x on a 386... Advice wanted

Karl Ihrig karl at wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu
Mon Sep 24 02:22:19 AEST 1990

(Kriss Hougland) writes:
>I am looking to go to a Unix(tm) format

One question: What speed is your CPU?
I am running a Bell Tech AT386 at 16 MHz.  It is great on ascii text apps.

>Motif ontop of X11.

I wish I had a 25 or 33 MHz CPU so I could do that too.

>fighting lost battle?

There are times when I wish I had a BSD drived system, usually when
FTPing some great sounding source files from the Net only to find
out that my SysV 3.2 C compiler barfs on them. Very discouraging!

>Intel Un*x (System V R3 real release and R4)

You may remember Bell Tech was bought out by Intel,
thus my remarks may in some small way apply to Intel Unix.
karl...