The purpose of this group...

Greg A. Woods woods at eci386.uucp
Sat Sep 8 02:59:47 AEST 1990

In article <26E3F766.2F57 at tct.uucp> chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> ...is to discuss "MS-DOS running under Unix by whatever means."

You/we will have a tough time fighting those who want to talk about
running UNIX like stuff on MS-DOS.  That's what I honestly thought
this group was about until I saw your message.  No, I didn't pay any
attention to the great renaming, mostly because it was all rehash to
me, and I didn't/don't really care how it comes out in the end.

> So to get the ball rolling:  Those who have used both Merge/386 and
> VP/ix, which do you prefer?

VP/ix.  As far as I'm concerned, I consider Merge to be a brain-
damaged implementation of what it is supposed to be, seemingly done by
a bunch of machine level programmers who know little of the UNIX
philosophy of kernel design.  (Though I wouldn't want to claim that
the bloating VP/ix causes in the kernel is a "good thing" either.)

VP/ix works for me, and I use it as little as possible.  (We don't
currently have space for a version of UNIX TeX, along with the already
existing copy of MS-DOS TeX, which we would have to keep for a
transition period.)  (I use TeX as little as possible too!  :-)
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]    VE3-TCP	Toronto, Ontario CANADA