Info wanted about Unix based PC's

Andy DeFaria defaria at hpclapd.HP.COM
Thu Sep 6 03:48:24 AEST 1990

Excuse me for the dumb question but:

	What Unix based PC's are available.

I have no PC at present and am thinking of buying one.  I tried a couple of
local PC dealers and they showed me their best DOS  setups.  After sticking
my finger down my thought and puking  on the salesmans shoes  :-) I decided
that I would probably like a Unix based system.  They  said that they don't
sell Unix based systems.

So  I would like  some info  on what's available  in the way of  Unix based
PC's.  How/Where would I get them?  What software comes as part of the base
Unix OS?  What hardware is required?  Prices?  etc, etc, /etc! :-)

What I'm looking for is somewhat of a  scaled down  model of what I have at
work (an HP 9000 series 350 using X) for as cheap as possible.   I  want to
have a color monitor, multiprocessing, C, Pascal and what not (can  I get a
Turbo Pascal for a Unix based system?) and,  of course, editors  like Emacs
and/or vi.

Although it's tempting to just go for the DOS system and  use stuff like MS
Windows 3.0, I would really like to be able to work on more than  one thing
at a  time like at   work.   From what  I've seen of   MS Windows  and  DOS
(probably the real  culprit)  you can't  do this on the "standard"  PC.  Is
this possible with a Unix based PC?

Also, Unix is just a better  environment than DOS anyway.   One of my goals
is to help my girlfriend  learn more  about computers and programming.  DOS
seems  woefully inadequate and   totally  non-standard to   be able  to  do
anything "right".  Also there is more market appeal  for  someone who knows
Unix.

Any info would be much appreceiated.