The purpose of this group...

David Mason dmason at digi.lonestar.org
Sat Sep 8 04:07:19 AEST 1990

In article <5680 at seac.UUCP> wain at seac.UUCP (Wain Dobson) writes:
>In article <26E3F766.2F57 at tct.uucp> chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>>...is to discuss "MS-DOS running under Unix by whatever means."
>>
>>So to get the ball rolling:  Those who have used both Merge/386 and
>>VP/ix, which do you prefer?
>>--
>My preference is for Merge386 as implemented under SCO ODT. It is a
>nice piece of work.
>
>--
>Wain Dobson, Vancouver, B.C.
>	...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!seac!wain

The $64 question: why?  I have not used ODT, but I have seen some demos
and it looks pretty nice all around.  I'm glad to see that Merge is
popular, since integration with DOS would be one of my key factors in
picking a PC UNIX, but I'm sure everybody out here in netland would
like to see the gory details.

A related question would be, if you dont need everything that ODT has,
would it be better/cheaper to get ESIX and VP/ix?  Will Merge work with
ESIX?  Enquiring minds want to know...

Dave Mason                           Party on, dudes!
DSC Communications  M/S 121
1000 Coit Rd, Plano TX 75075         The opinions expressed herein are
INET: dmason at digi.lonestar.org       not necessarily mine or those of
UUCP: ...!texsun!digi!dmason         my employer.