Roger Lee raj at netcom.COM
Mon Apr 15 16:49:06 AEST 1991

berk at techsys.uucp (techsys consulting) writes:

>shwake at raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:

>> barton at holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:
>>
>> >Try installing DOS 3.3 or lower on the clone first. Seems I remember
>> >reading somewhere that Xenix doesn't like DOS 4.x partitions
>> >on the same disk.
>DOS 4.01 is not only so brain dead that it doesn't understand itself,
>things it creats are unknown to the rest of the "old world".  It's
>not just big partitions, it's the basic boot record.  Go back to 3.3
>or earlier and low level format the disk.  Then chunk in *nix and dos 4.
>Or you >could< spend the time and $$ for a newer version  :)

Ah how true. But the version isn't what Unix/Xenix is gagging on. You
can be running a device driver (SpeedStor or Disk Mangler for instance)
under an 'acceptable' version and Xenix still won't like it. It's the
partition size that matters. If you keep your C: drive at or under 32 megs,
you're ok no matter what version of DOS you're running (I'm running DOS 5
Beta 432 and have had no problems whatsoever).

but you're right......4.01 is drain bammaged.

--

|| I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am. ||