BSD UNIX for 386sx pc?

Glenn Crocker glenn at curie.ces.cwru.edu
Wed Apr 24 11:19:09 AEST 1991

In article <2463 at pdxgate.UUCP> berggren at eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:

   glenn at gamow.ces.cwru.edu (Glenn Crocker) writes:

   >I've corresponded with william at okeefe.berkeley.edu on several occasions
   >about the 386bsd port, and have always found him to be quick to respond
   >and very helpful in his responses.  Please don't be so quick to judge him.
   >I'm sure he's got reams (megs?) of email as a result of the DDJ articles.

     Well, the reply that somebody posted was helpful. I am still curious as
   to what exactly comes with 386BSD (is it assumed to be available yet)?
   Is it the full set of binaries and sources with installation utilities, or
   simply sources (with AT&T stuff removed) that must be ported by the user?

Here's what I know:  (Note that this is NOT official information in any
way, and that you should take all of this with big grains of NaCl and that
if ANYONE from Berkeley tells you something contradictory to this, take
THEIR word for it.)

Currently, BSD runs on 386's.  The code isn't entirely AT&T free,
though.  For some amount of money (it was ~$500 in the past), you can
get the BSD Reno (which doesn't include 386) code WITHOUT the AT&T
code.  This won't boot, but it's fun(?) to read.  If you have an AT&T
source license, you can get BSD that will boot.  It will most likely
cost some amount of money, but I don't know how much.  The version of
BSD that you can get if you have an AT&T license will boot, but
doesn't include the 386 code.  Therefore, there is (to my knowlege) no
official channel for getting a bootable version of BSD for the 386.
There may or may not be ways to get a bootable version currently, but
you'll have to mail william at okeefee.berkeley.edu for more info.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but this is the vast majority of
what I know about the situation.  I've been trying to get the code
for a little over a year, and have yet to get it to boot.  Personally,
I would recommend waiting until the 4.4 release and getting that.

Also, there are ways for people with BSD licenses (which implies an
AT&T source license [which implies .edu domain :-] ) to get Mach for
the 386 from CMU.  If you don't have an AT&T/BSD license, Mt. Xinu
might be able to help you, but don't quote me on that.

     Eric Berggren             |         "Life is a Turing Test;
     Computer Science/Eng.     |           We're all automatons!"
     berggren at eecs.cs.pdx.edu  |              - (click, whir, buzz, chirp)

--
Glenn Crocker                   |  Your milage may vary.
glenn at ces.cwru.edu              |  Light bar not for occupant protection.