BSD UNIX for 386sx pc?

Jeff Racine racine at yunexus.yorku.ca
Mon Apr 22 13:07:18 AEST 1991

In article <2426 at pdxgate.UUCP> berggren at eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:
>racine at yunexus.yorku.ca (Jeff Racine) writes:

> (stuff deleted) Despite a large number
>of mailings to both 'william' and 'lynne', I have received no response
>over the past three months.
>  Anybody have any luck or information, post or e-mail. Thanx.

Here is the reply I received:

>From okeeffe.Berkeley.EDU!lynne Tue Feb  5 16:40:31 1991

Thank you for your inquiry on 386BSD.

386BSD is distributed by the University of California at Berkeley CSRG.
You should contact them at 415-642-7780 when 386BSD is available.
In the meantime, the February issue will feature several complete and
freely redistributable programs used in the actual 386BSD port.

BTW, here is the University's official statement on the subject: " The
386BSD support will be available in February as part of a revision of
the 1989 Networking Release distribution.  One very important fact to
remember is, that although the 386BSD itself support is freely
redistributable, much of the rest of the operating system and
utilities require source licenses.  Therefore, the February
distribution will NOT be a complete system and cannot be booted or run
on a 386 machine.  The distribution will require only a Berkeley
license and distribution fee.  Previous fees were approximately $500,
but the actual fee has not yet been determined.

The 4.4BSD release is scheduled for the middle of 1991, and
additional, support for the 386 will be made available at that time."

Thank you for your comments on the article.  Please feel free to write
the Editor at Dr. Dobbs about 386BSD, so we can keep them coming.

Bill and Lynne Jolitz.

Jeff Racine
racine at nexus.yorku.ca
racine at yunexus.UUCP