VPIX compatability questions

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.uucp
Thu Jan 24 16:42:50 AEST 1991

In article <2546 at westmark.WESTMARK.COM> Dave Levenson writes:
>In article <1991Jan17.041520.24159 at tmsoft.uucp>, mshiels at tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) writes:
>> Is there a way to detect you are running inside of VPix?
>You could try to write to a file in the root filesystem.
>You'll be allowed if you're in real MS-DOS, and not if you're under
>VP/ix, unless VP/ix was invoked by root.

Nope.  That would apply to networks as well.  Besides, I can write to
drive C: under VP/ix.  It maps to a file that I own.

>Anybody know a better way?

Hmmm.  I see two possibilities here.  If you have source and are trying
to add in the capability why not simply port to Unix.  I only run VP/ix
when I have a DOS binary that I have to run.  If I have source I simply
run it under Unix which is a big performance gain.  However if you must
run under VP/ix then why not set an environment variable?  Then all you
have to do is test it in your program.  Alternatively you can check the
PATH variable for an instance of "VPIX" but this isn't a perfect test.

Above justified paragraph purely coincidental BTW. :-)

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   There's no government