Remote login to DOS?

Michael Faurot mfaurot at irscscm.UUCP
Tue Jan 15 06:37:37 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan11.193729.14336 at cbnewsl.att.com> spf at cbnewsl.att.com (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) writes:
>I'm trying to get up to speed on the various ways in which one can set
>up a pc for remote login.
>I suspect there are dos-based
>solutions to this problem (don't some bbs's run in dos environments?),
>but I'm not familiar with them.

A couple of good remote DOS packages are Carbon Copy and PC Anywhere.
I've personally used the PC Anywhere package and have found that to be
quite well put together.  With PC Anywhere you can set-up a PC to
answer a modem, and then once properly logged in, you are capable of
running any program on that remote PC, as long as both that remote PC
and the PC your at locally support the same graphics hardware.  (Yes,
you can run graphics based software remotely...).  A couple of the other
nice features I like about PC Anywhere is that 1) It comes not only with
the "host" software, but also with the "terminal" software you need
for the system dialing in.  2)  It supports dumb terminals, so that you
could use a Wyse60 or VT100 to call the PC 3)  Features call-back
security if you want to be sure no one can get in 4)  There's also
supposed to be a terminal program for MACs so that they can dial into
the PC and use its applications too.