Using floppy diskettes on Sun

Ismed Hartanto hartanto at m.cs.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 15 03:48:05 AEST 1991

jorgi at cs.uow.edu.au (George B Zamroz) writes:

>wang at math.ufl.edu writes:

>>Hello, you all.

>>For those of you who use SUN Sparc workstations with floppy drives, I
>>have a question to ask for help: Is it possible, and how to transfer
>>DOS ASCII files from floppies to a SUN Sparc station? According to
>>SUN's booklet, the floppy drives for SUN Sparc stations are MS-DOS
>>compatible. Does it mean that we can transfer files from and/or to
>>floppies that which can be used on PCs? I don't think files transfered
>>with the "bar" command are MS-DOS compatible...

>When they say that the floppy driver are MS-DOS compatible, they mean that they
>use the same physical format (80 tracks, double-sided, 1.44MB). Unfortunately
>the file-systems are totally different, so unless you have a program on the PC
>that understands the a UNIX file system, or a program on the SUN that
>understands the MS-DOS file system, you are stuck. BTW, the drive on an Apple
>Macintosh is also MS-DOS compatible, but you still need the Apple File Exchange
>program to transfer files bask and forth between MS-DOS and MAC OS.

>P.S. What do you mean by the "bar" command? (Is it some form of archive
>format).
>--
>George B. Zamroz, University of Wollongong, Australia
>Masters Student (Computer Science)
>Internet: jorgi at cs.uow.edu.au

There is a program called : pax2exe which
can read sun's disk on a MSDOS machine.
Here's a quoation from the README file of the progra  :

The Pax utility is being distributed free of charge and may be
redistributed by others in either source or binary form.  (See the
liscensing section for restrictions)

The source for Pax has been posted to comp.sources.unix on USENET
and will also be available by anonymous FTP on the Internet from uunet.uu.net
moon.src.honeywell.com and from ucb-arpa.berkeley.edu

The author is Mark H. Colburn.

Hope this'll help.

- ismed