List of routines safe to use in signals?

Heiko Blume src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de
Thu Dec 13 13:28:04 AEST 1990

jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>If the man page (or, more recently, the ANSI spec, or
>the POSIX spec, or whatever) for the function says that it's reentrant,
>then it is, and you can count on it being reentrant.

you *DO* believe in man pages, not to speak of specifications?????

>However, if that is not
>specified, then you cannot make any assumptions about whether or not the
>function is reentrant.

you still can't make any assumptions if it is specified. you
can only *hope* it'll work, unless you've got the source and
are able to *proof* it. if you try it with n different scenarios,
then you can say "it worked these n times". nothing more.

don't get me wrong, but there are so many things that are in the
man page, but just don't work.

--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]: