Fortran compilers for SCO UNIX

Piercarlo Grandi pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk
Tue Dec 4 03:30:31 AEST 1990

On 27 Nov 90 03:22:49 GMT, rac at sherpa.UUCP (Roger Cornelius) said:

rac> I'm looking for a low cost fortran compiler (probably a contradiction
rac> in terms?) for SCO UNIX.  Does anyone have opinions on the various
rac> ones available?  I'd like something that doesn't require a runtime
rac> to execute the object files, and is fairly close to the language
rac> standard.

I think that the best thing you can do is to get the f2c Fortran to C
translator, and use it as a front end to the C compiler, using a simple
shell script provided with it. It is quick, it implements the full F77
standard, and does an excellent job.

Of course you need a runtime library to execute any Fortran object --
and an extensive one...  Otherwise who is going to do IO for you? f2c
comes with a full runtime library too.

This little f2c wonder can be obtained by anonymous FTP from
research.att.com (or guest UUCP from Larry Snyder's BBS, if I remember
correctly).
Piercarlo Grandi                   | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg
Penglais, Aberystwyth SY23 3BZ, UK | INET: pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk