mkdep program for SysV (Xenix/Unix)

Ronald S H Khoo ronald at robobar.co.uk
Tue Dec 18 04:19:06 AEST 1990

allbery at ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:

> If I remember correctly, BSD cc has -M but it has to be massaged to produce
> dependencies.  gcc has -M and -E -M (I think that's correct); the latter
> produces dependencies in Makefile format.

Maybe gcc's changed since you last looked at its options.  I quote the
relevant portion of "man gcc" (which says 1.36 on it, but is the one
distributed with gcc 1.37.1, ie the current gcc)

> once you trust a tool, you don't worry it to death.)

An excellent point.

Begin excerpt from /usr/man/cat.G/gcc.G:-----------------------------------
	  -M   Tell the	preprocessor to	output a rule suitable for
	       make(1) describing the dependencies of each source
	       file.  For each source file, the	preprocessor outputs
	       one make-rule whose target is the object	file name for
	       that source file	and whose dependencies are all the
	       files #included in it.  This rule may be	a single line
	       or may be continued with	\-newline if it	is long.

	       -M implies -E.

	  -MM  Like -M but the output mentions only the	user-header
	       files included with #include "file".  System header
	       files included with #include <file> are omitted.

	       -MM implies -E.
End   excerpt from /usr/man/cat.G/gcc.G:-----------------------------------
--
ronald at robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)