How do you read the arrow keys?

Kevin W. Reed kreed at telesys.cts.com
Sun Dec 30 13:01:24 AEST 1990

john at jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>From the System V/386 Release 3.2 curses man page, under getch():
>
>"If keypad(win, TRUE) has been called, and a function key is pressed,
>the token for that function key will be returned instead of the raw
>characters.  [...]  If a character is received that could be the
>beginning of a function key (such as escape), curses will set a
>timer.  If the remainder of the sequence is not received within the
>designated time, the character will be passed through, otherwise the
>function key value will be returned."
>
>I've used this in curses programs I've written which accept both
>cursor keys and the escape key as input, and it works fine.  I guess
>it's only available in certain versions of curses?

It is not available on SCO Xenix when using termcap curses.  It is
supposed to be available via terminfo curses.

Has anyone ever come up with a way to access function keys and arrow
keys using SCO curses termcap?

--
Kevin W. Reed --- TeleSys Development Systems -- PO 17821, San Diego, CA 92177
TeleSys-II BBS & telesys.UUCP 619-483-3890 ----- Telebit PEP Line 619 483 0965